Tuesday, January 19, 2010

How come a lot of kids (teenagers) over use the word gay?

Do u think most of them even know the meaning?\


It sounds annoying after a while, almost like Chef Ramsey's use of the f word.How come a lot of kids (teenagers) over use the word gay?
i am another teen that says gay... and it is a habit of mine, you just sorta start saying it and then i guess you cant stop... so i say gay... but im very careful who i say it around though... the word that i find most offensive is retarded i absolutely hate that word and everybody says it...





but yeah i say that's gay... when one of my dude friends does something fruity or queer, i say it if there is something on my clothes that is ugly and i say it like if someone copies me... like during a volleyball game we were chanting lets go nitro! and so the opposite teams parents started doing that too... and so i was like that is so gay to the rest of my team.... and again yes i know what it means im not an idiotHow come a lot of kids (teenagers) over use the word gay?
I think that most of them do know the traditional meaning (homosexual or happy). Younger ones may not; they just hear the older kids saying it so they start to before they know the real meaning. However, due to homophobia and homosexuality being viewed as a bad thing by some, (especially teenagers who haven't learned to accept others who are different than they) it has evolved into a negative word with a new meaning (really, any negative word such as ';annoying, rude'; etc. could be replaced with ';gay';). Soon enough, it was viewed as ';cool'; and ';bad a**'; to say the word in its new meaning, so more and more teens started saying it. Even if they weren't against homosexuals, having their friends say it all the time got them used to hearing the new meaning, so they too started saying it. I think that most people who say it don't even think about the real meaning when they use it, though. It's become a habit for some, which is unfortunate.





I'm 15 so I hear it all the time and it annoys me as well, but this is how I imagine it all began! Hope I gave you an answer you were looking for.
They use it as a synonym for something negative.





It's because,a lot of people think homosexuality is ';bad';,so these kids caught onto it,and now they don't even notice it.





Most people don't think it's bad,but it can really hurt people...





I only say ';gay'; as a synonym for happy,or lively. That's what it means,after all.
I am a teenager. I use the word gay a lot.


Duh, I know what the meaning is.


I usually use the word gay instead of saying ugly or weird.


It's just a habit of mine.


I have an older sister and she always used to say it when I was younger, I just sorta caught on to it.





Examples: My mom wanted me to get these really ugly pants a few years ago that had a butterfly on them. I said that the butterfly was gay. Meaning that it looked ugly/queer.





My grandpa needed a heating pad for his back pain. He thought he had to put his arms through the straps. Which he really didn't. I said it would be gay if he had to.





Ya know what I'm saying?
the word gay meant happy. then someone used it as slang for homosexual. and now it is that meaning. then someoe used it as another word for ugly/stupid. so now I guess it has another meaning soon. I wouldn't ever say ';that's so gay.'; just because I find it disrespectful and also if I form that habit, it would be awkward to accidentally say the word 'gay' in front of my mom. lol. I don't really like it when other people use that word. but I don't say anything because Its not my job to tell poeple what they can and can't say. thats why I don't really like those commercials with the celebs in it. that say ';knock it off.'; because it is just making them use it more.
i say it all the time. i dont even know how i got started saying it but my mom yells at me. like i say ';thats gay.'; all the time. or i call my dog gay, but then again my mom yells at me since she is a social worker and doesnt discriminate. and when i say it im not saying it in a rude way its meaning has just changed in my vocabulary.
Do you know what ';dumb'; or ';lame'; means? Dumb and Lame are words that describe people with disabilities but teens took the word and made it into something bad.





If you want to tackle one word, you need to tackle them all.





You are a hyprocrit if you use ';dumb'; , ';lame';, or ';retarded';.
im a teen going into highschool this year along w/ my step brother nd he says it alllllll of the time! it's outrageous. i mean honestly! i rarely ever say it but he's like that's gay almost every 5 minutes...one time he had to write it 500 times everytime he said it for one day. i think he wrote it like 10000000 times..lol
I don't really hear it as much as I used to.


More around 5th-6th graders. I'm surprised you hear it overused at your age...weird.


Anyway,


Yeah, they know the meaning but they are using it as slang for stupid.





It's MODERN SLANG. People don't care if it's offensive.


It's no worse than calling people ';retarded';. That's just as bad, if not, worse.


Obviously.
I don't say it.





The correct defination is happy. Although now they use it to describe someone homosexual.





Doesn't make sense when you say, ';Gosh, that movie was soooo gay.';





A movie can't be homosexual, or happy...
i kind of got into a routine of it i try to stop but sometimes when something happens or someone is acting stupid it slips out. Idk how i started but it just kind of took over for stupid so instead of saying oh that's stupid i would just say oh that's gay.
Because it means Happy?


I Dunno i just use that word when im angry and i don't know what i'm talking about.


But mostly because...well, to me i think its a funny word xD


Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Lol


sorry ignore me i'm weird





%26lt;(=¬D) xAngelinax
They think it's cool to say stuff like that. Just like they think it's cool to swear. Not saying all teens think it's cool to say stuff like that, just some of them.
I dont understand why people do that. The definition of gay is happy or homosexual. I dont think people would go around saying 'dang thats homosexual!'
Ah it annoys me so much. And I feel bad for the gay community. You will never catch me saying it unless I really am referring to a cig or being happy.
I know i hate it when someone uses the word ';gay'; for lame or stupid because i know people who are gay and it offends them too!!





%26lt;333
Because they started using gay as saying something or someone looks bad...





For Example, that shirt looks so gay.





That is why they use it some much.
Oh trust me, they know what it means.





They use it because other people use it. You've noticed it obviously.
um well it's just like a word u should really get over it
Because they are idiots.

No comments:

Post a Comment