Saturday, January 23, 2010

Are teenagers more likely to be depressed than adults?

I know that there are different reasons for depression but, generally speaking.Are teenagers more likely to be depressed than adults?
Regarding the comment that teens have more problems than adults - I'm not saying there's no overlapping, but that really isn't true. Adults also have to put up with nasty people and relationship problems, in addition to responsibilities such as working full-time and staying on top of all kinds of bills, which isn't just a walk in the park. Especially in this economy, they often have to worry about having enough money to get by, and sometimes even being able to keep their home. Being married and having children also adds a lot of stress in life (not that they aren't pleasant experiences in the long run, though). It's not easy.





(And -PLEASE- no one tell me that I ';don't understand'; teenage angst - I was more miserable than most. I've had clinical depression since birth, my mom died when I was 13, I lost several friends to death in the few following years, I was abused, I was bullied, I was alone, and I was suicidal. For YEARS.)





Teens may be more susceptible to temporary depressed feelings because they're still in the midst of developing coping skills and not as strong as adults, but they say people 18-25 are the most commonly affected by clinical depression. So whether teens are most likely to be depressed kind of depends on whether you mean clinically.Are teenagers more likely to be depressed than adults?
The adult stress rate has rapidly increased in the past two years, due to the economic down fall. On the February stress survey it showed that for the first time after the great depression adults were stressed more teens.
Yes because they have so much to deal with and learn. The brain is not yet fully developed. Some adults never get a fully developed brain, due to trauma, so that's why a lot of people relapse in their depression as adults. It's sad but true.
yes. MUCH more likely. because the brain is still developing in teenagers, they do not have the stability that adults do. all hte hormones don't help either.
Generally, those between 15 and 24 are more prone to a depressive disorder than any other age group. Females are more likely to become depressed than males, overall.
Actual depression is most likely to be found in young adults (18-25)


I think teens suffer mostly from a kind of depression that comes from social anxiety.
Yes because teens have more stuff to deal with on a daliy bases then adults
most, but not all of them. It just depends on the situation they're on.

No comments:

Post a Comment