Thursday, January 21, 2010

What are the best jobs for teenagers?

I'm 15 and looking for a part-time source of income over the holidays, but most places don't accept anyone under 16. Does anyone know of any good jobs for teens, or a good place to find one?





Much appreciated.What are the best jobs for teenagers?
paper route


shovel snow (depending on if you live in a snowy state)


Some restaurants will hire 15 year olds to bus tables, wash dishes, etc if they get proper signed consent forms from legal guardians)What are the best jobs for teenagers?
I'd say become a paper boy or offer to do some snow shovelling or lawnmowing. I was a paperboy when I was 15. I didn't get rich but it was nice having some spending money handy.
Call! Sit with a phone book and call all stores,fast food,etc places that you would consider working. Ask for the age requirement. This will be the quickest way. If they all say 16 then consider working for neighbors as a ';Mother's Helper';(watching kids,house-cleaning,cooking,running errands),yardwork, paper delivery, wrapping Christmas presents,the list is endless. Make a flyer with what you are willing to do (with or without prices you will charge) and a way for the client to reach you. Even one job will lead to others as word travels by word of mouth. Do your best and you will have more work opportunities than you care to take on. Good Luck!
Every state has their own laws on employment of teens. The are age restrictions, hour and day restrictions, and what types of duties which can and cannot be performed. Might I suggest a visit to your school's guidance counselor's office? I worked through my high school years with jobs that were obtained by the school. They can help you get a work permit and might have job lead referrals for you. Your local library has a number of books in their collection about teens and money/jobs/business. Here is a partial list from my library system:





Fast Cash for Kids 鈥?Bonnie %26amp; Noel Drew


Better than a Lemonade Stand 鈥?Daryl Bernstein


50 Money Making Ideas for Kids 鈥?Lauree %26amp; L Allen Burkett


Jobs for Kids 鈥?Carol Barkin %26amp; Elizabeth James


The Kids鈥?Business Book 鈥?Arlene Erlbach


Making Cents 鈥?Elizabeth Wilkinson


Make More Money Than Your Parents 鈥?Mike Bundlie and Others


How to Be a Teenage Millionaire 鈥?Art Beroff





Another resource if you are truly industrious and serious about making money is the Junior Achievement Centers, see link below.





There's no doubt that you can make more money on your own than working for an employer. This fact is true at any age.
My first job when I was 15, as well, and was pretty limited due to labor laws (age, etc). I did get a work permit through school and my first job was at the local Dairy Queen. lol For some reason I am thinking that was something I could due with my age because we were either considered seasonal or waitresses...something like that.





However, when I turned 16 a few months later, I was gone and out of there. I went to McDonald's...even though I am 34 now and would never tolerate working there at my age, when I was in high school, it was GREAT! Sure, you can work hard, but you are working with so many other kids of the same age....it was like a huge social thing, too. LOVED IT! I was there 3 years!

1 comment:

  1. JOBS FOR KIDS has become my recent obsession. After running Cool Site of the Day for the past 12 years, I'm turning all my attention to kidmoguls.com - please check it out. Join my notification list and let's keep this dialog going.

    Thanks,

    Mike Corso
    http://www.kidmoguls.com

    ReplyDelete