Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Do any parents out there control what their children/teenagers read?

I am writing an assignment on book censorship and how some schools remove books from their libraries because they consider them to be inappropriate. For parents - do you care what your kids read? Or if there's any kids, do your parents have a say in what you read?Do any parents out there control what their children/teenagers read?
my parents have never cared. but i kno other people who's parents won't let them read some stuff. it just depends on how old you are and what the material is. schools usually remove books that they deem innapropriate but what they think is innapropriate is not always bad.Do any parents out there control what their children/teenagers read?
My parents let me read whatever I want. I am a JR in high school and at a college reading level, so i read books meant for an older audience all the time. It improves my grammar and vocabulary so no, they don't care.
My mother was very prudish but she let me read any book in the library...she told the Librarian not to censor me. I loved to read and read everything..Freud..Classics..now I am an adult and read mysteries.I can't lose myself into the books like I di at 12 yrs old.


My kids read books on electronics that looked like a foreign language to me.





I say let kids read all that is written. The more you know the more openminded you become.
I certainly kept an eye on what my daughter read when she was a girl. She loved reading and I recall one occasion she read a book that scared her. It taught us both a lesson! She had nightmares, and I might as well have been having nightmares ... I was up half the nights with her. I felt terrible that I hadn't picked up on it.





If, as responsible parents, we monitor what our children watch on TV or see at the movies, it only makes sense that we would monitor their reading material. In fact, it's probably more important as reading is so much in the mind. Kids especially can imagine things way worse than they might see on a screen.
My parents have no say in what I read. I just read what ever it is that I please. (:
i am not a parent, but i would not mind most material. one should have a variety of bases of knowledge. if my child showed up with a Koran i would not mean or any other book that would be considered contravosial excluding of course very extreme cases( more along of the lines of illegal, not controversial)





one should be well educated
With my kids I was just happy to have them read anything although those book reports on Where's Waldo were pretty lame.
I don't necessarily censor what my son reads, but I want to be sure I'm aware of the contents before it reaches his hands. I'm not concerned about him being ';brainwashed'; by anything, but I know there are some books out there that deal with extremely adult subject matter but are allowed in the classroom (i.e. Toni Morrison's The Bluest Eye). I'd like to be able to discuss such subject matter (rape, incest, murder, animal cruelty) with him before he dives into something so much heavier than anything he's dealt with in his life.
i have 3 sons with kids and they control it and i dont' blame them sometimes its tv also cause the tv is so bad at times with stuff not appropriate for children.
I'm a Junior in high school and my parents don't really care what I read. I personally don't think this has negatively affected me in anyway. The only parents I know who censor what their son reads are super fundamentalist Christians who think fiction is something created by Satan to distract us from god.
growing up my mom was open to letting us know how the world worked


we had a question she would answer.


when it came to reading books or articles it was the same way


just be glad your kid is interested in real topics about the world


that way at least they will be ready for the world instead of the world hitting them with all the crap that they had no clue about
xD I'm writing a paper about this too! For my Honors English II class. My parents don't censor me at all. The 3 paragraphs topics I used are: 1) curse words do not change the moral of the story 2) Inappropriate scenes are sometimes necessary for the book because without them the books theme could change completely 3) banning the books also bans the lessons to be learned by being exposed to new writing techniques - basically thats what i used, but i went way more in detail. Email me if you have any questions.
Nope But I usually don't try to read those type because they're usually really long which I can't read without losing my mind.
My kids can only read from a pre-approved list of books, that I have checked out before hand. Unfortunately for them, I don't like to read, so they can't read anything at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment