Tuesday, January 19, 2010

What do you think of teenagers becoming atheists because of their parents forcing them to go to church?

I'm not saying that ALL atheists are like that because their parents force them to go to church, but from what I've seen that's been the case with a lot of my friends.


I'm the opposite, I started going to church because my parents never went to church with me. It makes me wonder how I would have turned out if my parents had dragged me out of bed every Sunday morning as a kid to go to church with them.What do you think of teenagers becoming atheists because of their parents forcing them to go to church?
It would be a common form of rebellion I would think. I have seen it in my own community (Jewish) though not that much. I had a friend who was really upset at his parents for forcing him to have a Bar Mitzvah etc and he finally left the community and moved away.


My parents sends all of us to Jewish schools that taught not only Jewish studies but secular studies as well. When I was younger I told my dad I refused to be Jewish or go to Shul anymore. He asked me why and wanted me to give him a reason (other than ';I just don't want to';) In looking for an answer to give him I found my own way.


Another family had the problem with their son and my dad (he is a Rabbi) advised them to not force him to go. He began to feel left out and things like that so he decided to go. In the end though it was his choice. I think that does make all the difference.What do you think of teenagers becoming atheists because of their parents forcing them to go to church?
Mere teenage rebellion against parental authority doesn't make a strong


foundation for the serious consideration of the god hypothesis. Atheism


should be adopted for rational reasons, not emotional ones, though I


won't deny the part a moral abhorrence to religion can play. It's the same


as those teenagers who believe so strongly in god because they enjoy


the good feelings charitable work and a social network bring. None of


this addresses the nuts and bolts case for the existence of a god.
The truth is that there is a mind set, common in many teens, that ';I am old enough to make my own decisions';. When parents force their teens to do anything, including going to church, they are risking rebellion - that pre-adult over reaction that manifest itself in outright rejection (no matter how good or bad the experience may be). A wise parent will, within reason, permit input and allow latitude of decision making on the part of their teens. This frequently will prove to be just the medication to prevent confrontation and may even engender acceptance.
my friend turned atheists because he parents are very strict catholics and she also goes to a catholic high school


i think everyone tends to resist something if it is forced upon you


Some of your friends may realize that they are missing something in their life and go back to the faith but others may truly believe in nothing but they shouldn't make anything final because they are probably still finding themselves


I'm not going to lie i used to be atheist for a short time in my life


I was forced to go to church every Sunday and also take religion classes


but once i finally decided to read the bible on my own did i realize that i really did believe in god.



Teenagers don't really matter very much in the big picture. They are all over the map -- trying on one thing or another just to see it it fits...if it's them.





In the big picture you spend about 10 years (15-25) figuring out who you are. Then you spend another 10 years (25-35) settling down.





It's the settling down part that matters. By the time you are 30, you have stopped caring about 97% of the stuff that mattered to you a lot at 18. You are becoming more %26amp; more like your parents and realizing, that as much as you hate to admit it, your parents were more often right than wrong.






It's like with many things in life: if we want to get people to hate doing something, all we have to do is force them to do that thing.





If we do things because we want to do them, and they are fulfilling to us -- we will probably enjoy doing those things.





That includes attending worship services every bit as much as it includes eating certain foods.



I'd say they're going to right way but for the wrong reasons. There are really compelling reasons to be an atheist, but rebellion against your parents isn't one of them.





This wasn't the case with me. I was never forced to go to church, and I didn't turn out a theist.
I think lots of teens reject their parents' religion because of the parents' inconsistent practice.





Where in the Bible does it tell parents to drag their kids to church? Why would someone believe that they could inculcate faith in another person by forcing the bible down their throat?
I think them deciding to become atheist had more to do with them deciding that on their own rather then their parents forcing them to go to Church. My parents made me go to Church and I'm happy that they did and a better person for it. And I didn't become an atheist.
Sometimes atheism starts as teenage rebellion. But that's okay, it usually leads to reflection and gives them a different perspective on religion other than what they were forcefed. This, in turn, usually builds a more solid, mature basis for atheism.
It is part of the prophecies related to the end times. Children would come to disrespect and hate their parents and teachings; there would also be a great falling away from the Church.





All of this is happening right before our eyes.
That just sounds like immature rebellion.





Many atheists have a sound worldview based on facts and evidence... it has nothing to do with rebellion, though Christians will always try to make the conclusion out to be emotional or ';spiritual';.
*sigh* happened to me. No, that's not the only reason, I just found myself thinking and *poof* insta-atheist.





But really, this does happen a lot and it seems like it happens to a lot of Catholics in particular.
The fact that so many Christians feel they need to indoctrinate their kids at an early age and force them to go to church makes it pretty obvious that their religion can't stand on it's own. Truth requires no coercion.
Well, it sure makes for a stupid teen doesn't it?





I can think of several ways to apply that logic that would make a fool out of some one.
Teens go through a rebellious stage. Fortunately when they get older most of them wise up. Of course the liberal brainwashing machine that is public school contributes to that problem and many others.
Hmm...well it may be a reason for some teenagers but probably not all. There are probably multiple reasons that have caused atheism today.
if the only determining factor is whether or not mom and dad try to force you on it, then your whole belief system is inherently suspect.
um, nope, we're becoming atheist 'cause we're getting smarter ;)
It is their choice.





Many like to rebel against their parents for many reasons.
Is it possible maybe church wasnt for them.
Seems like a lousy way to lose faith.
only silly people worship jesus
I'm telling you that is a ';cop out'; because it allows the non-believer to continue to do his/her dirt and live in the sin they choose, because they're to lazy to want anything better in their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment