Sunday, January 17, 2010

Anyone know of any self help books for teenagers that have adopted their baby out?

I know a teen who felt she had to as her parents were against her keeping it %26amp; she couldn't see a way of coping financially so adopted it out. Have google searched but I can't see any books on this subject. A year on, she seems ok but I thought a book might help.Anyone know of any self help books for teenagers that have adopted their baby out?
';The Girls Who Went Away'; by Anne Fessler. While it largely deals with women who surrendered children during the baby scoop era, it will help her, too.





You are a good friend. Surrendering a child can traumatize a woman for the rest of her life. She may seem ok, but many women seem ok because they feelthey have no right to say how they are hurting...she may need help dealing with this, but doesn't know who to go to. Obviously her parents will not be able to give her adequate support since they were against her keeping her child. Thanks for caring enough to help her.Anyone know of any self help books for teenagers that have adopted their baby out?
The Girls Who Went Away, by Ann Fessler





The book is a collection of womens' stories who've relinquished gathered by Ms. Fessler.





I found the book at my local library. As a former teen mom, this book really touched my core. I kept my daughter, in spite of pressure to relinquish her. But the stories in this book reminded me so much of the struggles and emotions I experienced at the time. It may be too heavy for her. Or it may express exactly what she's feeling. The link below allows a peek inside.





http://library.adoption.com/Research-and鈥?/a>





She may also find support in on line groups like Concerned United Birthparents or First Mothers Reunited where she can find support from other women who share her experience.





http://www.cubirthparents.org/


http://www.firstmothers.net/


http://www.exiledmothers.com/





Good luck!





ETA: Darn it! Linny beat me to it...I'm too slow on the key board. LOL
You are a good friend to have. The more time that passes the harder the adoption loss may be on your friend. I am glad that you are there for her.








A good book for healing:





Adoption Healing (a path to recovery for mothers who lost children to adoption) by Joe Soll and Karen Buterbaugh





A good book for all around adoption:





Lost and Found by Betty Jean Lifton

No comments:

Post a Comment