Sunday, May 9, 2010

What do you think the chores of a 15-16 years old be, and how do the teenagers of your house help ?

If you are a teenager, what do you do at home to help,do you do it willingly, or are you paid? If you are a parent,:How do you make your children help, what do they do to help, are the chores of daughters and sons different, and how much do you pay them if any? Thanks a lot..What do you think the chores of a 15-16 years old be, and how do the teenagers of your house help ?
I'm not sure what the link is in my situation between doing chores and getting paid...basically I do the chores whether or not there's any money involved. Sometimes my parents decide I didn't do a good enough job so I don't get money, and I do an awful lot of walking that week.





I get $40 a week, but when you factor in the cost of transportation -I live in NYC and a round trip on the subway is $4 out of my pocket- that gets rid of basically my entire budget. My parents don't buy any other stuff, except clothes when I outgrow them. I keep myself to a strict -my parents say overly strict- budget so that's not a problem.





I do the dishes 7 days a week, keep the kitchen clean, keep the bathroom clean, scrub down the kitchen and bathroom once a week, keep the dining room clean, do my laundry, and anything else my parents tell me to do.





My sister keeps the living room clean and does whatever our parents tell her to do. She gets $30 a week. I don't care about the work difference. She's been cooking three or four nights a week for the last few weeks.





When we get groceries, my sister and I put them away. We share a room -4 people in a 2 BR house- and that's our own to deal with. We're relatively neat, but I've been so busy lately that it's been gross on my side. I do my best to hide it, though.





It's actually been a bit touchy with my parents lately...I have a really packed academic schedule this year, more extracurriculars than I've ever had, and a two-year relationship to maintain. I'm hardly ever at home and when I am, I'm working or just plain exhausted. I haven't been able to stay on top of my chores so things have been piling up. I asked my mom if she would mind taking over a few things -between the two of us my sister and I end up doing just about everything, and my mom works from home; she doesn't have a long workday- but that didn't go over well. Also, I need the money to get around and I'm too busy to get a job. So, for the time being, this 16-year old and her twin are the main labor force.





I think 15-16 year olds should be in charge of doing their laundry, helping out with the dishes, unskilled manual labor that the parents can't do or don't want to do, and general picking up. Depending on how busy said 16-year old kid is with school -or sports if they're serious jocks- that can be adjusted. Parents should leave their kids' rooms alone. If there's food in there, that's a different story and that should be dealt with. Otherwise, let the room be a disaster zone as long as it doesn't spill out in to the rest of the house. Keep a closed-door policy if it really bugs you. I was a bit of a slob about my personal stuff for a while -never had much of a problem with schoolwork- but once I almost lost a really sweet game to scratches, I wised up. Let your teens learn from their mistakes, even if it means a bit of a hit to their grades. They're not going to learn if you do everything for them.What do you think the chores of a 15-16 years old be, and how do the teenagers of your house help ?
Clean room, do own laundry, own dishes, and take the garbage out if they see that it is full.





Children are not there to be your slaves, as long as my child cleans up for themseleves and isn't a total slob I am not going to be a pain.





It bugs me to no end to hear about parents who put every single household chore on their child and then do nothing.





If they started being lazy about those things then I would start to lay down the law. Wont do their dishes? Okay, then they cannot eat dinner if they dont want to clean it. Wont clean their room? Okay, they are going to share one with their sibling then.
when I was old enough to get a job and earn my own money (13/14yrs old) my parents stopped giving me money





I still had to do chores...clean my room (even though we had a house maid), walk/feed the dogs, do my own laundry, take out trash, put dishes in the dish washer...etc... the usual


I wasn't paid for doing chores anymore, but it was still expected of me.





it's all part of growing up and learning responsibilities. I didn't fully understand or like it then, but now I understand
When I was a teen I had to keep my room and bathroom clean and empty the dishwasher. I also did things like help carry in and unpack groceries. I wouldn't say I did it willingly or for money, it was just what I was expected to do. It wasn't an option and I never really gave it a second though. It is just what I did.





I don't think kids should be bribed to help out. They should help out because they are a member of the family.
i help set the table and clear the table after dinner and put any leftovers in containers and then into the fridge


i wipe down the table as well


sometimes i cook dinner


if my dad is out of town i take out the garbage


i also run errands for my mom like if she forgot something at the grocery store i go for her, picking up gifts for my little cousins and what not, going to get something for her at the bookstore, etc


i get a weekly allowance



I have an older brother who is about to be 18 and I just turned 16 a few months ago. Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays I clean the kitchen and he cleans the bathroom and on the opposite days we switch up. My mom cleans the house on Sundays and we have to keep our rooms presentable. Every Friday my mom gives us $20 each.
I get 20 a week for:


Emptying/Loading the dish washer Daily


Cleaning up my room on Sundays


Tidying up (hanging up clothes, picking up trash, making bed) my room 3x a week


Doing about 2 hours of random chores on weekends


It doesn't really bother me...I help out if my mom needs me to once and a while.
HEY I AM A TEENAGER I AM 15 YEARS OLD AND I AM GOING ONTO 16 BY THE END OF THIS MONTH =]!


AND WELL I DO CHORES TO HELP OUT MY MOM. WELL SHE MAKES ME AND MY BROTHER HELD. ONE DAY HE'LL SWEEP THE HOUSE AND I'LL CLEAN. BY CLEAN I MEAN I'LL CLEAN THE KITCHEN; ILL WASH DISHES, WIPE DOWN THE TABLE, CLEAN THE LIVING ROOM, ETC. I DONT DO IT WILLINGLY BECAUSE SOMETIMES I DON'T WANT TO CLEAN. BUT I THINK ABOUT IT AS HELPING OUT SO I DO IT DAILY =D!!
I was never paid for doing work around the house but was able to cook the sunday roast at the age of 10 so considered it good training.
im almost 15.


and i do not do anything.


my dad has said over the summer i was supposed to wash towels but i never did.


and they claimed they were going to pay me but they werent. b/c my mom said she was going to pay me for grades in school and she never did so i have some f's - we didnt have many grades put in. but if she would have paid me i would have had better grades.


sooo

No comments:

Post a Comment