Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Do most people think teenagers are being dramatic if they say they are depressed?

Because I think i might be, but im scared to tell my mom because im worried that she wont believe me..





Also, How do you know if you are depressed?Do most people think teenagers are being dramatic if they say they are depressed?
Yes your are most likely depressed if you just ask this question. But there is such thing as mild depression, severe depression, chronic depresssion and pcychotic depression.. I've been through all of them....Mild depression could mean its just temporarily something that fits in the description of children and young teenagers....Do most people think teenagers are being dramatic if they say they are depressed?
You know you are depressed if your clinician (psychiatrist or psychologist) gives you that diagnosis. ';Depressed'; is not something you decide for yourself, and it is certainly NOT something that anyone on this site can say you are or are not.





NO ONE who diagnoses you on this site as ';depressed'; is qualified to say so. And those who ARE qualified will NOT diagnose you for ethical reasons.





If you think you are depressed, you need to see a professional. But if you are simply sad, feeling down, blue, unhappy, etc., that is NOT the same as being depressed, which is an entirely different kettle of fish.





I can't say that teenagers who say they are depressed on this site are being dramatic. More likely, I think THEY think that ';being depressed'; is an entry-level thing to say here. No teenager that I know has the knowledge, training, education, or therapeutic skill of a Ph.D.-level psychologist, or an M.D. psychiatrist, to toss around technical diagnostic terms on this site. Mostly, I think they are trying to show off when they say ';Oh, yes, I think you're depressed'; (or OCD or ADHD or any of the other terms they've read in the newspaper and think they can now use without knowing what they mean.)





-- Dr. Bob, Adlerian psychologist
Feeling down from time to time is a normal part of life. But when sadness takes hold and won't go away, it may be depression. More than just the temporary ';blues,'; the lows of depression make it tough to function and enjoy life like you once did. A person with severe depression has little or no interest in work or hobbies, and may even have trouble getting out of bed. With treatment and help, you can feel better. Learning how to understand depression – including its signs, symptoms, and causes – is the first step to overcoming the problem.





Symptoms include:





Feelings of helplessness and hopelessness





A bleak outlook—nothing will ever get better and there’s nothing you can do to improve your situation.





Loss of interest in dailly activities





No interest in or ability to enjoy former hobbies, pastimes, social activities, or sex.





Appetite or weight changes





Significant weight loss or weight gain—a change of more than 5% of body weight in a month.





Sleep changes





Either insomnia, especially waking in the early hours of the morning, or oversleeping (also known as hypersomnia).





Psychomotor agitation or retardation





Either feeling “keyed up” and restless or sluggish and physically slowed down.





Loss of energy





Feeling fatigued and physically drained. Even small tasks are exhausting or take longer.





Self-loathing





Strong feelings of worthlessness or guilt. Harsh criticism of perceived faults and mistakes.





Concentration problems





Trouble focusing, making decisions, or remembering things.





http://www.helpguide.org/mental/depressi…








I do believe most people would see teenagers as being dramatic if they say that, yes. Why? Because a teenager has not gone through more than adults have. The problem is teens don't know how to handle it. They also get into adult situations that they can't really handle.





It all depends, really. I've met people who say they're depressed but they are attention seekers. The ones who aren't looking for attention would make it a point to keep it to themselves and deal with it on their own. Because, you can deal with it on your own. You should talk to your doctor about it or at least get more information on dealing with it.





When I was depressed, I actually searched for information online and got through it on my own. Find ways to be more positive, enjoy life and things like that. I learned to let go of the issues I was facing. Only you can help yourself. No one else can know how you really feel, and if you try to talk to the wrong people, all you'll get is more crap, which will lead to you feeling worse about yourself and maybe not knowing what to do with yourself, which is horrible in the long run.
I'm a teenager, and if you are not feeling yourself it doesn't mean you are depressed as feeling bad and having lost a member of the family are not the same thing but you should definitely tell you mom what you are feeling and why etc. It could make you feel better or she could even help you out. I can't be lieve i'm saying this but, remember she's the one that put you on this earth, and if there is anybody who (deserves) has the right to know you the best apart from yourself it's her.
I'm a teenager, I became depressed with my life instantly after my parents got a divorce and I was the only one to comfort her. The symptoms of depression for me (everyone is different) thoughts of suicide, distraction, sad songs playing through my head, fatigue, and not eating. I'm bipolar like my mother but not as much but still I suffer from depression, and I can tell you now ';DON';T CUT YOURSELF!'; I did that and all I could do was hide it, it wasn't fun at all. You just to tell your mom that you think that you aren't happy and she maybe understanding and make you an appointment with a therapist(That's all parent's first reaction) She is your mom and she should be worried about you being depressed.
if you told your mom that you were depressed. I don't think she'd believe you. She'd probably think you were just rebelling and acting out for attention. If you really are depressed she'd probably sense it so she'd come to you.





When your depressed I think it's like you were once happy but you just can't find that happiness. Like you know how it felt but you can't feel it. Like nothing matters. Your so sad that you just want to be away from everything. So you just change. Most depressed people wouldn't even engage in anything such as myspace school friendship or yahoo answers lol I'm a teenager too. Don't worry. We're suppose to get mad, sad, etc. My parents get sick of it but I'm just fine. hahaha :]





P.S. There is a chance that your depressed. Teenagers are under a lot of pressure in this stage of life. So if you are get help IMMEDIATELY. Don't become one of those suicides
A lot of teenagers say they are depressed, but i don't think they yet have experienced real depression.


You know you're depressed when you don't care about seeing friends, and no matter what, you always feel empty and detached from society %26amp; No one truly understands how you feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment